Dr. Shekar Kurpad specializes in the treatment of a wide variety of spinal and cranial disorders. His expertise lies in the surgery for malignant brain tumors, degenerative disease of the spine, tumors of the spine, spine trauma and skull base tumors, and minimally invasive methods for the treatment of spinal disorders. Dr. Shekar Kurpad has extensive research experience in both brain tumor biology and spinal cord injury and has authored several peer reviewed publications and book chapters in these areas. As the recipient of the prestigious Van Wagenen fellowship from the American Association of Neurological Surgeons, he conducted cellular transplantation research for spinal cord injury at the internationally recognized Karolinska Institute in Stockholm, Sweden. He runs a laboratory at the Medical College of Wisconsin with international collaborators for the study of spinal cord injury.
Education / Training
- Doctor of Medicine - Bangalore University - Bangalore, India (1991)
- Doctor of Philosophy - Duke University School of Medicine - Durham, NC (1995)
- Fellowship in Spinal Surgery - Medical College of Wisconsin - Milwaukee (2001)
- Residency in Neurological Surgery - University Hospitals of Cleveland - OH (1995-2001)
- Fellowship in Skull Base Surgery - University of Tennessee - Memphis (1998)